This guide will show how to upgrade the firmware on your AVR XMEGA based device.
If your device has a USB Bootloader, follow these instructions.
- AVRISP mkII, or similar PDI capable programmer
- AVR Studio 4 IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
- HEX and EEP files for the device, found on the product's page (Look for the HEX icon).
A regular AVR programmer might not work, the programmer needs to be PDI capable. PDI is the new interface to program XMEGA microcontrollers.
Instructions to install the tools:
- Install AVR Studio and USB driver
- Connect the programmer to the computer and auto install the hardware
A more detailed guide on how to install the tools is found here.
Instructions to update the firmware:
- Start AVR Studio
- Connect the cable from the AVRISP to the PDI connector on the board
- Power the board
- Press the "Display the 'Connect' dialog" button: . Alternatively, you can go to this menu: Tools-> Program AVR -> Connect -
- Select your programmer and port. (AVRISP mkII and AUTO or USB)
- In the MAIN tab, select the device, depending on your product:
- In the programming mode, select PDI
- To check that everything is ok, press the "Read Signature" button. You will see a message saying that the device matches the signature.
- Go to the PROGRAM tab
- In the Flash section, look for the .HEX file and click Program
- In the EEPROM section, look for the .EEP file and click Program
- Go to the FUSES tab
- Set BODPD to BOD enabled in sampled mode
- Set BODACT to BOD enabled in sampled mode
- Set BODLVL to 2.9V
- Click Program
After updating the firmware, make sure to recalibrate the device.