The MultiKitB is preprogrammed with a bootloader. The bootloader allows self programming of the microcontroller thru the serial port, so an external programmer is not required to do firmware updates or to program your own applications. There are several PC applications that can communicate with the bootloader, the most used are AVRDUDE (included in the WinAVR package) and AVRProg.This guide will focus on the AVRProg, which is part of the AVR Studio Environment.
To program the microcontroller follow these steps:
1) To enter the bootloader, the MultiKitB must be powered off, then press the K6 key and then the K7 (power) key simultaneously. You will see the following message:
Bootloader Ver x.x
(where x.x is the version of the bootloader)
The MultiKitB will now wait until it detects commands from the PC.
2) Start AVR Studio and under Tools, select AVRProg:
3) Select the HEX file to program by clicking on Browse.
4) Click on the Program button inside the Flash area. The MultiKitB will show progress as the data is received.
5) Select the EEP file to program by clicking on Browse.
6) Click on the Program button inside the EEPROM area. The MultiKitB will show progress as the data is received.
7) Click the Exit button. The MultiKitB will shut down. Close the AVRProg window.
NOTE: If the EEPROM doesn't need to be changed, steps 5 and 6 can be omitted.